Mike wrote:
>>What surprises me is that NORAID is unknown to people of Irish descent, like
Kakki, and others. It is widely known in Britain and is hardly a secret in
many places in the USA.<<
Kakki responded:

>>And I'm totally baffled that you would be surprised that I didn't know about
NORAID.  Do you think American people with some Irish background are somehow
born with this knowledge?<<

Mike says

Without getting too (Groucho) Marxist about it, I would say that I am
surprised that you are baffled that I would be surprised.

No, I don't believe that anyone from any background is born with any
knowledge. But I do believe that the well-educated population of the world's
most modern industrial country lives in a well-informed society with a huge
media presence and this would allow them (not force them) to have access to
this type of information. I simply expressed surprise that these facts are
unknown to many, and it's especially surprising, to me, that if we throw an
Irish ethnic background into the equation, then we have a possible reason for
looking into these areas.

I stress 'possible'. I'm not suggesting people of Irish backgrounds must, or
should, look into political matters, only that they would appear to have an
extra interest (because of their ethnic background) in Irish matters.
Presidents Reagan, Carter and Clinton all made trips to Ireland to find their
roots, and thousands, if not millions of US citizens go over to Ireland for
the same purpose.

One of the key factors, for better or worse, in 'keeping alive' the idea of
the 'ould country' is the oral transmission of the old stories. In the case of
the Irish, I imagine that these would often refer to exile, famine, struggle
and discrimination. Remember the scene in 'Michael Collins' where Liam Neeson
points to the old family cottage, saying something like "That's where it all
started, listening to stories round the old turf fire in Skibbereen". I quote
from memory, forgive the errors. I find it difficult to believe that these
'old stories' are not still in circulation.

Kakki said
>> The way NORAID itself portrays itself (on the internet) is exactly as a
humanitarian organization for oppressed families in Northern Ireland.  They
say nothing about being a channel for the IRA.<<

Given that the IRA is now regarded as a terrorist organisation in the USA do
you really expect NORAID to say it is a channel for raising funds for the IRA
to buy weapons? Does the CIA's website say that they are undermining
democratic governments? Does the French Government's website talk about
blowing up the Rainbow Warrior in Auckland Harbour? Of course not.

Kakki asked:
>> You cannot imagine that some sympathetic people of Irish descent in the
U.S. would give to them (NORAID) thinking that they were just trying to help
poor children?<<

Of course I can imagine this. I am absolutely sure that the majority of these
people DO give for this reason. I can also imagine other people giving money
knowing where it's really going. In the Basque Country here in Spain there are
bars where the tips don't go to the barmen, but instead go into a bomb-shaped
jar which then goes to ETA. In these circles it is very clear that
humanitarian aid is not the real destination of the money. I strongly suspect
(to put it mildly) that there are some people in the USA who are equally
knowing about where NORAID money is destined to end up.

Kakki said:
>>I don't think you can expect Americans to solve or understand the problems
over there very easily.<<

I don't think anyone anywhere can understand the problems very easily, and I
don't particularly want or expect the Americans to solve the problem, although
anything that would help bring a lasting peace to Ireland is welcome. I think
Clinton's visit was positive in this respect.

Rob Ettridge said:

>>NORAID is fairly well known in the UK.  It is definitely a source of
anti-American feeling, especially whenever there is a bomb or a bombscare.
This is not to say that myself or the majority of the British public
necessarily share this view.  But I do know people that I would consider to be
anti-American and the NORAID issue is definitely fuel to that fire.<<

 I agree with Rob's comments

Rob continued
>>One example of an Irish-American who openly supported the IRA was Gene
Kelly.  He was proud of making regular donations and saw them as freedom
fighters. <<

I think this would also go for John Ford and probably John Huston as well.
Quoting from memory, don't sue me.

Mike wrote:
>> The US govt has on occasions refused to extradite people wanted by the
British govt for terrorist activities, accepting the argument that the person
wanted by the Brits had been engaged in a 'legitimate conflict'. Judge
Sprizzo, delivered this verdict in 1986 in New York,<<

Philip said that:
>>Judges make decisions based on law.   Are you saying the judge should have
disregarded the law and handed the man over just because Britain said so?<<
NO.

Philip said that:
>>Britain's appalling record on human rights may have been a factor the judge
had to consider (Britain was found guilty by an international court of
torturing innocent citizens in Northern Ireland).<<
I agree totally.

Philip said that:
>>Britain's disgraced legal system may also not have helped their case. The
80's was the time when the world became aware of innocent Northern Irish
citizens banged up in British prisons for crimes they did not commit, based on
confessions they were beaten into making.<<

I agree totally.

Mike said
>> Doherty was visited in prison by Cardinal O'Connor of NYC and the Irish
Cardinal O'Fiach.<<

Philip said
>>Not sure what point you are making here. Are you saying that prisoners
should not be allowed visits? In this case a prisoner who had not been
convicted of any crime.<<

The point I was trying to make was the fact that the two Cardinals visited
Doherty makes it a newsworthy item, one which I imagine people in NYC, and
especially Irish-American people, would see on their TVs and read in their
papers. Of course prisoners who have not been convicted should be allowed
visitors, but can you think of other such cases where such high-profile people
visited an accused terrorist? When was the last time any Cardinal went to
visit anyone in prison? Did any Cardinals vist Timothy McVeigh? Would any
high-ranking church official visit Bin Laden in prison?

Philip said that:
>>Terrorism and violence are abhorrent as far as I'm concerned.<<

I agree.

Philip said that:
>>Northern Ireland is as legitimately and legally a part of Britain as
Surrey.<<

I don't agree on this one, but it's cool.

mike in barcelona
np Pogues, Birmingham Six