Mike wrote:
Rob continued
>>One example of an Irish-American who openly supported the IRA was Gene
Kelly.  He was proud of making regular donations and saw them as freedom
fighters. <<

>>I think this would also go for John Ford and probably John Huston as well.
Quoting from memory, don't sue me.<<

No need to worry Mike,   dead men don't sue   :)      But to be serious for a
moment,  this is new to me, and I don't think it's fair to say that these men
supported murder without making reference to some source.     A quote from an
interview,   a line from a biography,   tv show or documentary.  (Speaking of
tv some of my favourite Parkinsons were interviews with Gene Kelly and John
Huston.)  I will accept any shred of evidence that these men as you say
"openly" supported the IRA.    I'm not disagreeing with you,   just puzzled.

>>The point I was trying to make was the fact that the two Cardinals visited
Doherty makes it a newsworthy item, <<<

Yes I agree it might have been wiser if they had sent one of their minions..
But maybe they wanted to highlight an injustice, as they saw it, by bringing
public opinion to bear.    If I was wrongly accused of murder I would want a
visit from the Pope if it would help.

BTW I'm interested why you don't you think NI is as british as Surrey,
Glasgow,   Liverpool etc etc

Thanks for the discussion Mike,  Kakki,  Colin and others..

Philip

np  Court And Spark