Mike wrote:

>But I do believe that the well-educated population of the >world's most
modern industrial country lives in a well->informed society with a huge
media presence and this >would allow them (not force them) to have access to
> this type of information. I simply expressed surprise that >these facts
are unknown to many, and it's especially >surprising, to me, that if we
throw an Irish ethnic >background into the equation, then we have a possible
>reason for looking into these areas.

I think what I am hearing here is that something that is such a huge and
crucial issue in the U.K. should of course be equally crucial and
well-disseminated in the U.S.  It's just not.  That may seem unfair because
I'm sure the U.K. hears and knows more about U.S. problems and issues than
we in the U.S. hear or think about U.K. issues.  That's probably what tends
to make us seem national-centric.  We no doubt are, but not always or
neccessarily ecause we are only concerned about our own little world.  Look
at the size and diversity of the U.S.  You can even look to some extent as
the 50 states as 50 little countries.  So much happens in the U.S. on so
many regional and national levels that our interests and concerns are both
on overload and also tend to disperse in importance according to location.
Add to that our own personal problems and concerns and you can see how being
knowledgeable about the situation in Northen Ireland can easily take a back
seat.  There are very few of pure Irish background across the U.S.  There
are concentrations of pure Irish in NY, MA and some other places in the
east, but outside of that, the majority are mutts who consider themselves
first as "Americans."  Here is another, more current analogy.  We just got
attacked by an organization that has been threatening us and bombing us on a
smaller scale for a number of years now.  You can bet the large majority of
Americans did not know anything about Bin Laden or the situation in
Afghanistan before Sept. 11th.  If we didn't even know about one of the
worst enemies we've ever known, it is not hard to imagine that we don't have
much knowledge about the IRA or organizations linked to them, Irish
background or not.

> Presidents Reagan, Carter and Clinton all made trips to >Ireland to find
their roots, and thousands, if not millions >of US citizens go over to
Ireland for the same purpose.

Yes, and that has always been one of my dreams, too.  But we go for more
sentimental reasons and to take in the gorgeous countryside.  We don't think
of the political problems there.

>In the case of the Irish, I imagine that these would often >refer to exile,
famine, struggle and discrimination.

That is very true, but no different than the tales handed down in families
of Jewish, Polish, Ukranian, Native American or African background.  Most
all ethnic groups in the U.S. hand down their stories through their
families.  It's a common American tradition.  I think where this bothers you
is that the stories of Irish hardship inevitably makes the English look less
than good.  You probably feel that this has been perpetuated long enough and
that it has led to nursing old greivances which can translate into money
being sent by American Irish to the IRA, etc.  I can understand your
feelings.

> Given that the IRA is now regarded as a terrorist >organisation in the USA
do you really expect NORAID >to say it is a channel for raising funds for
the IRA
> to buy weapons?

If they are, no.  But then do you really expect for a naive softhearted
Irish American to know that they are?  I know the Europeans think we are a
naive people in general and they are correct in some respects.  We tend to
be open, trusting and many of us believe everything at face value.  If the
media says it's true or doesn't tell us about something, that it's for a lot
of people.  We don't neccesarily go research the issue further.  A trait
that personally has bothered me quite a bit for a long time.

>Does the CIA's website say that they >are undermining >democratic
governments?

I don't know - maybe I'll look it up.  I do know for fact that the U.S.
media or other information channels has always portrayed the IRA in a fairly
hideous light, always as terrorists, and even more so by connecting it with
other terrorist groups in the world.  I just saw an article the other day
saying they had fraternized with the Bin Laden operatives.  Don't know if
that is true, but the point is they are overwhelmingly not romanticized in
the U.S.

This discussion has been helpful to let at least some Americans on the list
know more about these issues.  If it stops someone from putting money in a
box somewhere, it has been worthwhile.  I will say that I am very saddened
by the anti-American sentiment that I've seen revealed in a lot of the
European press since Sept. 11th.  I think we always had a vague idea that
the Euros looked down on us a bit, but had no idea how deep the hostility
runs.  I think it is a rude awakening for a lot of us who go along like
puppy dogs thinking everyone is our good friend. I am willing to reconsider
how we are viewed by the world and the reasons why and I only hope that the
Europeans would also try to reconsider us on some things, too.

Kakki