karen carpenter was the love of my life when i was in high school. she and
diana rigg as emma peel. what my friends couldn't understand was that i also
loved yes, emerson lake & palmer and joni. and laura nyro and carole king
and claude debussy and richard strauss.
i had a carpenters t-shirt. my friends thought that it was an ultra
sophisticated joke on my part, like how could wally have a carpenters
t-shirt unless it's a joke. so in a perverse kind of way i ended up looking
cool.
but i was never embarrassed to be a karen fan. the opera stuff embarrassed
me a bit, though. especially the wagner thing. some of my teachers thought
it was morbid and that i perhaps should masturbate more.
wallyK