Kate,

I want to do more research about the Professor Francisco Gil-White to see
his background and motivations before I get too much into this.  If he is a
Marxist, his views will be naturally slanted towards having a gripe against
the U.S. system to begin with, and therefore, not impartial or objective.
I've seen such types of questioning of U.S. actions most of my life and they
usually ultimately come from Marxist sources.  I had admitted Marxists
professors not only in college but in high school, so have seen the approach
first hand.  It's no secret that our educational systems in the U.S. have
long been either dominated or heavily influenced by them.  Since I am not a
Marxist and have no desire for their system to predominate in my country, I
will be wary of their their motivations.  You can find much empirical
evidence that all of the terrorist groups we have learned about in our
lifetime have been connected to or espouse Marxist ideals.  They use
religion and ideology as a guise and lots of people are brought to their
cause under thoses guises.  This is not a good thing.

As for questioning what the U.S. has done or has not done to have the
tragedy of Sept. 11th and apparent ongoing threats against it, I have no
problem with that.  However, I am very suspect of people who want to focus
their questioning all on U.S. actions, especially U.S. actions of half a
century ago.  I am doubtful that anyone other than a few experts in U.S.
policy in the middle east, can really present a comprehensive and objective
view that includes ALL factors made by all parties concerned which led to
decisions made years ago, and perhaps out of context to today's situation.

I think we absolutely do need to figure how how we have come to this point,
but I don't think we need to only consider our enemies explanations for it.
I agree it is a very complex situation.

Kakki