I guess that a response to Kate's post quoting the professor would be to
look up the facts of what the professor says, not accuse him of being a
Marxist and go through that tired, old love it or leave it thing.  It is
very presumptuous to question someone else's love of this country
because they point out accurately some of the things that have been done
by our country.

Some research into history rather than trashing the professor would seem
to fit into the concept of "life is for learning."  I thought that facts
posted by the professor were rather accurate readings of US history.

We have a responsibly, if we love our country, and that responsibility
is to be the best citizens that we can.  I suggest that means that we be
educated, aware, knowledgeable citizens.  Ignorance of our history and
smearing with terms such as "Marxist" those who teach our history is not
a positive contribution to our nation.  And being a true patriot is not
in have blinders on, or picking and choosing to know only happy little
thoughts about our national history.

We have a very rich and diverse and textured history, some of it good,
and of it bad.  Our nation has done things that are truly awesome, and
some things of which we should be ashamed and resolve never to do
again.  Slavery would be an example of the latter.   So would the list
of foreign policy misdeeds that Kate quoted the professor as citing.

It was put quite well by Carl Schurz (1829-1906, a U.S. general and
senator) to the U.S. Senate, Jan. 17, 1872: Our country right or wrong.
When right, to be kept right; when wrong, to be put right.

If we don't know our own history, how can we put our country right?

(the Rev) Vince