On 22 Oct 2001, at 18:04, Kakki wrote:

 The fact that he was met with such displeasure by
> the audience could be construed to indicate that they were insulted by what he
> said.

I didn't see any of this but if the audience displeasure was expressed so
vehemently, then I am embarrassed for the audience, not for Richard Gere.

Complete silence would have been more civilized.

I've been wondering how someone presenting the Buddhist perspective/philosophy
would be received relative to 9/11, especially since the recent pleas for
tolerance have been focused on Islam and Christianity (with Judaism factored in
because of the Israel-Palestine conflict).  Will we only advocate tolerance
when the conflict at-hand calls for it?

The sad fact is that we as a nation need a wider perspective on more faiths and
views that are held by smaller groups of our citizens and hopefully there won't
have to be more tragedies to draw us to that conclusion.

Brenda

n.p.: silence