Brenda,

> I find this increasingly difficult to continue this discussion without
knowing
> what he said but here goes....

I just saw Fox News replaying the Gere segment.  Maybe you can catch it
again tonight.

> Surely you won't argue that there are people in this
> country who are seeking revenge and have expressed it as such.

NO!  But can't you see that directing it to an audience of people who have
been more perharps devastated than anyone on earth can be seen as
inappropriate? Why convert an occasion to give some true heroes
acknowledgement into a religious political opportunity?  What's done is done
and I do wish in a way we can go back to more live TV because it is more
honest.

> Is this your statement or a quote from something you read reporting on the
> event?  If it is your statement then there was something which you heard
that
> led you to characterize his comments as criticism and judgement.  That's
what
> his words were through your lens.  They may not be judgmental to me.

True, myabe you will have the chance to see the replay for yourself.  I saw
it myself live and am not repeating something I heard.  In fact,  I just
saw it again a few minutes ago and kicked myself for not transcribing it.

 > Please understand that this is not a personal attack and there is no need
to be
> defensive.  It's just that in my view it is very strong language to say
that
> someone is "judging."

Oh come on.  In my almost 5 years on the list I have only felt a personal
attack three times, and in each instance I was directly and blatantly called
a vicious name or accused of something of which I was innocent.  The rest of
it I find either stimulating, or if it angers me, I go have a martini and
laugh it all away. ;-)

> And I don't think it was unfortunate.  Hopefully there are other people
> somewhere wondering what Gere meant by what he said and seeking to open
their
> minds to the Buddhist perspective, if for no other reason than the sake of
tolerance.

I am for tolerance always.  I also think that the efforts and heroism of the
firemen and policemen in New York exemplify something that I don't think
many
of us have witnessed in a long, long time.  I celebrate and bless them very
much.  As noted at the concert, they directly saved 25, 000 lives.  What
Gere has to say right now takes a back seat to that, IMO.

Kakki