> Something that really bugs me here is all the comparison that goes on.  This
> artist is better than that one, that artist is trying to be like so and so,
> and on and on.   I think it is true that all of us cannot avoid being
> influenced by all of the events/things/people/songs that we grow up with,
> but we each have our own unique interpretation and expression, and I think
> that we all deserve to be respected and valued if we are trying to bring
> beauty into the world in however limited a fashion.  Rickie Lee Jones has a
> solid base of people who think she is the best musician who ever walked the
> face of the earth, just as most people here feel that way about Joni, and
> other people I know feel that way about Natalie Merchant, Jewel, Brittany
> Spears, Madonna, Bob Dylan, etc.

i agree with you tho i don't think joni is the BEST. Nor do I think Carly is the
BEST nor DAR nor Tracy nor Janis nor any of the people whose music enriches my
life. they are all different and each have their own contribution to make to
life. It is as silly as comparimng human beings as better or worse than one
another. No one is here by accident. each has her/his role to play, whether or
not we appreciate or undertsand it.
Comaprisons are not much good in this arena.

--
bw
colin

[EMAIL PROTECTED]