Marian
I too love just playing the songs the way they are and while my ability
restrains me from being able to do them on guitar or piano exactly the way I
may want to, I do my best to be true to the arrangment. Vocally I tend to
channel what I have heard the artists do from their various performances and
so my annunciations may be very similar I still sing in my voice. Many
people have told me when I "cover" a song I sound like that person. I recall
playing in Kakki's living room and having Dulson remark as such that I
"sound" like Nash or Croz or whoever and to me it is very flattering to have
someone appreciate that. If I ever had to play for Joni I would be a little
uncomfortable due to my lack of originality in my attempts to play the songs
(not to mention being nervous as a whore in church), but it is the only way
that I know how to do it at this point and the only way I really wanna do
it. It is one of the reasons that the fests have become so important to me
because the people seem to really enjoy it no matter what I do. I truly wish
I could write good songs but i feel like the ones I have written are for me
or whoever I wrote them for and they are always centered around love or a
lack of or whatever. Last night I sang When The Stars go Blue by Ryan Adams
and of course I think i sound like Michael Paz trying to sound like Ryan
Adams trying to sound like Roy Orbison, but i LOVE it. Thanks Fred and
Marian for opening this can of worms and look forward to hearing more on the
topic.

Love

Paz

NP-Paper Moon-Whiskeytown (just cam in the mail and I still love this guy
for whatever reason. Thanks Les and all who posted on Ryan Adams. OH MY GAWD
it just switched to What The Devil Wanted and this is SO different and kinda
Beatley.