I won't be seeing it.  I knew as soon as I saw the commercials.
Hobbits are little furry guys- sorta more like squirrels.  Definitely
not people.  The books have given me such rich images.  They don't
match the clips I've seen at all. And no Tom Bombadil?  Also Liv
Tyler's character was almost entirely made up. And what about the
elves? Tall, whispy light creatures. And the dwarves...etc...Gollum...
Nope.  Actors can't get there.
RR

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Mark and everyone else, i can now talk about the movie, Chris Marshall is probably
>just coming out of  the cinema in or around Cambridge.
> It was for the most part visually stunning, atmospherically impressive and truly
>captivating.  I am coming from the point of view of a fan, of course. Elijah *is*
>Frodo.
> Jackson's vision of Middle Earth is perhaps as close to Tolkiens own vision as we'll
>ever see.  There are some very funny moments (i'm trying to say little, in order to
>maintain suspense for those not in the know!)
>
> Tom Bombadil is not in this movie.  I guess he isn't entirely relevant to the
>advancement of the story, but it is such a wonderful little chapter.  The film kept
>all of the key features and characters from the book.  The immense detail the novel
>indulges in, of course, had to be cut down some for a cinematic venture.  If one had
>not read the books, ones understanding might have been a little marred. My sister
>really had to concentrate at some points to keep it all straigh in her head, not so
>much as to render much negativity on the film.  I mean, there is a serious of
>encounters with strnage named characters in strange named places (i.e Arwen and
>Elrond in Rivendell; Galadriel in Lothlorien) that are central to the plot.  In the
>book a fair amount of time and detail is devoted to all of this, but in the film
>these are merely fleeting episodes.  This isn't necesarily a bad thing, it is
>probably needed to maintain the pace of film.  AT just under three hours, it was
>imperati!
ve!