Nice post Susan.  Here's my recount on seeing/hearing that DAMN JONI
MITCHELL........

It was I believe 1975,the venue was The University of Cincinnati Fieldhouse.
  My older sister and her then boyfriend had invited me to come
along.........

Our seats were up in the nose-bleed section.. sitting on bleachers and
before SHE came out I was already a little sauced because the tequila&salt
was passed up and down our row along with the HERB.  The L.A. Express opened
up with a few tight jazzy numbers and then the lights dimmed....out SHE
walked,if you can call it walking, more like a stroll....(chills even now..
just as I had those many years ago) SHE opened with HELP ME.  Wearing a
black pant outfit,tomato red, silky blouse and a gaucho style hat.  I could
see she was a blond, her hair slightly exposed, but most of it tucked in the
hat.  MY very first reaction was what an incredibly stunning, beautiful&
mysterious woman. (THE VOICE:I will just say for the people that have seen
her live know what I mean when I  write:THE VOICE. There are no adjetives to
adequately describe;the soaring highs the low-ebb to it.  Recordings DO  NOT
capture it.......what I heard back in 75.)

She spoke very little other than to complain about her guitar being out of
tune.... she fiddled quite a bit with her guitar.  Taking a lot of time and
you could feel her frustration.  (there was a guy sitting to the right of us
who would scream at her to PLAY something.  I was quite annoyed by him as
others were.)  When she sat at the piano I can remember being sooooo
transfixed losing all space and time.  Losing my surroundings..  (it wasn't
just the herb either)....it was just she and I.....this was an incredible
moment!!

Did I realize at the time the innovator she was/is.. no, nor the master
musician?  I did realize I needed to explore her more......of course not
knowing at the time would be a live-long exploration.  (hence,JMDL)

As I remember she did three or four encores and on her last encore she took
her hat off....*WOW!!.......her beautiful blond locks now free-flowing,silky
sleeves rolled up....My Analyst told me.....

Soooooooo to sum it up.....I guess you can kind of read into it that I love
Joni Mitchell.   :-) *WOW:I often think of Mama Cass's facial expression
when she saw Janis at the Monterey Pop festival back in 68/69,  with her
mouth agape....WOW!.
(I have a little fund set aside so wherever SHE is in concert in the
future......be it bum-blank Egypt or Tidewater,West Virginia (me mothers
birthplace) I will be there........it's been WAY tooo long.

Bree

Mags wrote: close your eyes and remember those angst filled days and