Well.....just throwing out a little IMHO here.....perhaps they didn't have
the "apptitude" for learning how to read/write music. I was a voice major in
college, and still sing/play guitar in a World Music band. Of course,
solfege, basic piano, music theory, etc. were all required courses, but
somehow, I never "really" understood the whole reading music thing, and had
to take solfege more than once to pass it. I have a very good ear, and can
pick up anything I need to learn by just listening to it. I can tell when
someone in the band is "off" but I can't tell them whether it is a C or a C
sharp they are singing wrong. So, perhaps others are the same?

Hugs,
Ashara