colin wrote:

> I understand your objection to anti American sentiment. I don;t undertsand
your
> obnjection to the reporting of Bush's statement that he is prepared to use
> nukes. He said ti. It is not a lie. To reprot it is not fearmongering. it
is
> something we all need to know.

To report it fourth hand, embellished, before Bush made his own statement,
from a classified Pentagon report leak given to a commentary writer at the
L.A. Times is what I objected to.

> On BBC's question time tonight, this subject came up. I leanred some stuff
> didn't know. Like how the USA(and I assume the UK) were friends with
Saddam and
> helped him invade Iran and supplied him with the technology and weapons.
The
> fell out over his invading of Kuwait.

Right.  I want to learn more about the why the U.S. has been involved in the
middle east, at great expense of lives, money and political fall-out all
these years.  Has it really been primarily to protect Europe's access to the
oil and shelter Israel?  About supporting regimes in the past that are now
enemies - lots of people in Europe and around the world supported Hitler,
too, or looked the other way in the beginning, until they saw the light.

> The anti American sentiment is widespread and it is real and it is there
for
> good reasons.  Stating this fact is not an attack on you personally or
anyone
> else, except those people that have the power in your country. The UK too
has
> equally stained hands.

The UK or former British Empire controlled a lot of the Middle East and set
up a lot of the countries where there are problems today.  However, do the
Americans rant and rave about this and put it all on them to this day?  I
find a lot of the anti-American sentiment in the U.K. and Europe just
mindboggling.  As if they can just ignore the fact that it is their national
corporations that are some of the most largest and powerful in the U.S.  The
biggest oil corporations in the U.S. are not named "Bush" but rather British
Petroleum and (Dutch) Shell Oil Company.  Most of the major record companies
are foreign-owned.  The German and British have the lock on the luxury car
market in the U.S.  The largest pharmaceutical company is German and several
of the largest scientific concerns are also German.  I heard at one time
that the largest personal landholder in the U.S. is Queen Elizabeth.  Yet
their newspapers and citizens spit in our faces and we are suppose to be
intellectually above it all and demur cooperatively.  I cannot help but
react to some of this at times - at other times, I wonder why do I even care
at all.

Kakki