Hi Julius,

>I can see how, generally speaking, hearsay and embellishment are
> objectionable.  And, clearly, it's not cool to preempt the President.

I think that when newspapers embellish hearsay having to do with something
as serious as nuclear weapons during a time when the U.S. is engaged in a
war to defend itself is beyond despicable.  It's fine to preempt anyone
generally from a leak but a leak of classified Pentagon material???  That
used to be definitely uncool but ethical standards have been so lowered that
most don't even blink an eye over it.    However............after my initial
reaction it did occur to me that it *could* have been intentionally leaked
to check out public opinion.  Maybe I'll pretend those screaming meanies and
nasties at the Guardian are really double-agents for the CIA - that might
make me feel better ;-)

> Notice how there's no condemnation of the leak from the Administration
like
> there was when someone from Congress leaked sensitive war policy earlier
in
> the Bush administration?  That's an earmark of a leak by design.  Clinton
> used the leak technique masterfully during the Lewinski debacle.  It's
about
> managing expectation.

I did see a headline the other day about Rumsfeld condemning it and calling
for an investigation of the L.A. Times but didn't read the article.  By the
way, it is interesting to hear you mention the Clinton leak technique - the
Master of manipulation indeed!

>I think that's pretty cool and I'm psyched when the press
> ferrets these things out.  Remember Watergate?

Yeah, but this is different - we are trying to protect our country.  Would
it be cool if people on a regular basis start leaking all our current
strategic military defense plans to the world, too?  What scares me is that
there are some people who think that would be very cool.

Thanks for bringing your intellect into the discussion, Julius.  When you
get a chance, maybe you could elaborate on the finer points of alternative
energy ;-)  (I'm serious!)

Kakki