> <As far as what music I want played at my funeral, that's a good thread.

Carole King's 'Way Over Yonder' is maybe an obvious choice but I've always
thought that would be a good one.  Another one that just came to me is
Lambert, Hendricks & Ross's vocalese version of Ellington's 'What Am I Here
For?'  There would have to be some Billie and it would probably be her
rendition of 'I'll Be Seeing You'.  Iris Dement's 'My Life' sums up a lot of
things for me so that one would be on my list as well.  I love the fact that
'Goin' Back' played as Dusty Springfield's coffin was being carried out of
the church so that one's a possibility as well.

As for Joni well there would have to be at least one.  Anyone who knew me
would expect it.  Probably her latest rendition of 'Both Sides Now' although
'My Best to You' from TTT might be nice even if she didn't write it.

> Any other Iowans?>
>
> Les and Mark in Seattle that I'm aware of, and you know, there could be
> more.
>
> <where you from Penny?>
>
> Born in my grandfathers house (he was a Doctor and minister), in Vinton.

I was born & raised in Keokuk.  We used to drive through Vinton on hwy 218
going back & forth from Cedar Falls during my college years.  I also
remember Vinton because that's where the school for the blind was.  When I
was in grade school I saw the movie 'The Miracle Worker' on TV and became
fascinated with it.  As a school project I did a report on the education of
the deaf & blind.  I wrote to the school at Vinton and they sent me quite a
bit of information.

Things I
> think of when I think of Iowa - catching fireflies on summer nights,
> fabulous tenderloin sandwiches,

Watching the fireflies (we called them lightning bugs) in the tall grass was
a magical thing when I was a kid.  And pork tenderloin sandwiches from the
local A&W are now the stuff of legend among people above a certain age from
my hometown.

 I LOVE living here,
> just across the river from Portland OR and seeing Mt St. Helens out the
> back door and Mt Hood out the front, but with the Ocean a short two hour
> (max) drive away.  I think only Seattle or Vancouver BC could be better
> places to live for great scenery and accessiblity to the lifestyle and
> events we like to take in.

I second this wholeheartedly, Penny.  Iowa has some very nice country.  When
Carole King played in Ames when I was in college she commented on it and
implored the audience not to let it be spoiled.  But the Northwest has so
much more to offer.  I love it here & can only imagine living somewhere else
occasionally during particularly long & wet winters.  Sometimes Kakki's
world looks awfully good to me, I must admit!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Penny & Alan.

Mark E in Seattle