>Hi everybody,

I'm 17 years old and a big fan of Joni Mitchell-- especially her more
jazz-influenced material. I have a question: In the song "Blue Motel Room"--
which is really stunning-- there's a line "...hanging on your boom, boom
pachyderm..." and I have no clue what it means, but would like to know. Can
anyone help? Thanks.

I've got a blue motel room
With a blue bedspread
I've got the blues inside and outside my head
Will you still love me
When I call you up when I'm down
Here in Savannah it's pouring rain
Palm trees in the porch light like slick black cellophane
Will you still love me
When I call you up when I get back to town
I know that you've got all those pretty girls coming on
Hanging on your *****boom-boom-pachyderm*****
Will you tell those girls that you've got German Measles
Honey, tell them you've got germs
I hope you'll be thinking of me
Because I'll be thinking of you
While I'm traveling home alone
Tell those girls that you've got Joni
She's coming back home

Hey there Anthony.  New to the list??  If so, welcome, good to hear from
you.  Im on digest mode, so your question may have been answered already.

As far as i recall, the pachyderms are a group of animals (mammals) typified
by their thick skin (*pachys* is the greek for thick, and *derma* being the
greek for skin), they are also distinguished by their hooves and the fact
that they are non-ruminants (i may be wrong mind you; taxonomy was one of my
weaker classes in zoology), examples include elephants, rhinos, and pigs.  I
leave it up to teh rest of you to make sense of that in relation to the
lyrics:)  Like Anthony i would appreciate some clarification!
GARRET (back to college next week!!!  Hoorah!!)

NP- Edith Piaf, La Vie En Rose