so weve seen the postings about desert island discs & favourites of
this & that

what about those songs you just absolutely love & adore... the ones
that sound like an old friend,, that cause that sudden rush of pleasure
when they start,, that have you cranking up the volume, and hitting the
repeat button.

the songs that feel like coming home

here i go in no specific order (other than joni first since this is her
list :-)

***amelia - shadows & light

my first joni album, still my favourite album of all time, & this song
is probably the greatest song written in the last 50 years. a true classic.

***god must be a boogie man - shadows & light

an intensely personal song to me. one that spoke volumes to me &
touched me in a truly deep way during one of the worst periods of my life,
an intense depression, when i came so close to suicide i shudder to think
about it

***shadows & light - shadows & light

are we seeing a pattern here?? getting the impression i love this album??
youre right... :-)

***don juans reckless daughter - don juans reckless daughter

ok - i havent got totally to grips with this song - only had it a short
while - but im looking forweard to a long & intense relationship with
what is probably the 2nd greatest song of the last 50 years. fecking
brilliant!!!

***michelle shocked - memories of east texas - from short, sharp, shocked

simple, striking, brilliant, full of surprising depth for such a simple
song. all about growing up in an east texas town - mirrors some of the
comments ive heard on list from people growing up in texas. a song every
person who feels theyve been broken to the mould can identify with.

***michelle shocked - if not here - from deep natural

one of michelles gospel numbers. this is one of those songs for switching
down the lights, turning up the music, and just purging youself to

 "a burden shared, is only half a trouble

 i knew youd care, i knew youd understand

 a burden shared, is only half a trouble

 joy thats shared, is joy made double

 joy thats shared, is joy made double"

with a lovely, liquid, flowing melody, beautiful guitar work - what a
beautiful song...

***michelle shocked - winter wheat - kind hearted woman (commercial release
version)

dark, brooding, morbid, but ultimately triumphant. a great but overpowering
album - not sure why i love this album so much. perhaps i just keep reading
something into the "what would make a man, make a promise he cant keep"
line...

***fairground attraction - find my love (not sure which album - only got a
best of )

the tale of the break up of my marriage a couple of years ago. my ex
absolutely adored "perfect" off this album - io only had ears for "find my
love".... go figure

***joan baez - ellas danzan solas (cueca sola) off diamonds & rust in
the bullring

one of my favourite of joans albums - live in spain with some really classy
musicians & a great atmosphere. & this powerful song by sting. i
always thought joan sounded far, far better in spanish than she ever did in
english.

***second chapter of acts - he loves me (not sure which album)

one of the most powerfully emotional vocal performances ive ever heard
anywhere. lead singer annie herring just channels absolute love &
purity on this song. ssshhheeeewwww drained & purged by the end of this
song - never fails

***mary chapin carpenter - family hands - from hometown girl

like so many people i got started on mcc via the wonderful stones in the
road. just a stepping stone to discovering her other albums - esp this one
which is now one of my all time favourites. this song is just so great.
mary's voice just gets down deep in side of me in a way no other ever has.
as her guitarist john jennings once said - "mary's voice is an invitation
to intimacy"

 "and the spoken word wont heal you, like the laying on of hands,

 the warm & loving ones, that raised you to a man"

***janis - try

well - actually - i could have puicked almost any of janis' songs. a part
of my grwing up - i neverf lost my tyaste for, or found anyone that could
come close to janis

***patty larkin - brazil

im a new convert to patty - but totally hooked already - her music is just
so absolutelyt addictive - and this is my favourite of hers so far.

***bob dylan - simple twist of fate

simple flash of brilliance - damn - i love this one...

***vera lynne - lili marlene - off hits of the blitz

a childhood song that stuck with me my whole life. the composer of this
beatiful song (i forgethis name) died just recently. i have no idea what
else he ever wrote - but i love this one

actually - i could go on all night - theres just so much music out there
with so much meaning.

i just subbed to a local rock music newsletter. one of their features is a
listing of the local top 5 from 30, 20, 15 & 10 years ago. i could
remembre & sing snatches of every song from 30 years ago!! i mean - i
was only 10 at the time!!! i guess music just never fades out of your
blood....

ron

np - mcc - come on home