> what about those songs you just absolutely love & adore... the ones
> that sound like an old friend,, that cause that sudden rush of pleasure
> when they start,, that have you cranking up the volume, and hitting the
> repeat button.
>
> the songs that feel like coming home

The second side of 'Miles of Aisles' in its entirety:

Cactus Tree
Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire
Woman of Heart and Mind
A Case of You
Blue

To me these performances of these five songs are the heart and soul of
Joni's work up to that point in time.  She reveals her deepest feelings here
and it's goose bump stuff.

You're So Vain - Carly Simon
Always crank it up and sing along - real loud!  There's something totally
liberating about it.

Your Love is Lifting Me Higher - Bette Midler
Another crank it up and let the intensity flow through you song.  Orgasmic.

When the Sun Comes Out - Barbra Streisand
Another goose-bump, orgasmic torcher sung as only the young Streisand could.

I'll Be Seeing You - Billie Holiday
Quiet, heart-rending, longing.  Melancholy, exquisite, elegant, soulful.

Day Is Done - Peter Paul and Mary
Makes me cry everytime.  Peter Yarrow's voice is sweetly soulful and so is
the song.

Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane
Grace Slick's powerful voice rhythmically chanting over a pulsating beat.
Sixties flower-power distilled into a 3 or so minute song.

Sara - Fleetwood Mac
My favorite Stevie Nicks song.  Another one that used to make me cry but has
less power over me now.  Still a beautiful melody, haunting production and
lyrics that evoke regret and a sweet melancholy.

If I Loved You - Barbra Streisand
Barbra's covers on the first Broadway Album were about as close to
perfection as you can get.  I've always loved this Rogers and Hammerstein
song from one of my favorite musicals, 'Carousel'.  Barbra doesn't oversing
it but still manages to bring it to an intense emotional climax with
exquisite control and just enough power.

It's Too Late - Carole King
The first Carole King single I bought back in high school.  Fell in love
with her.  A simple, to the point song about a relationship that is ending.
A great song by one of the great pop song writers.

Rickie Lee Jones - Stewart's Coat
The first RLJ song that I learned all the lyrics too and still my favorite.
A sweet song about falling in love and learning how healing it can be.  The
story of my life.

The Sound of Music - Julie Andrews
After a montage of breathtaking aerial shots of the Austrian Alps, the
camera finds Julie walking across an Alpine meadow.  As the shot zooms in on
her she spreads her arms in a gesture of absolute joy, turns around once,
taking in the surrounding splendor and in her miraculously clear-as-a-bell
soprano voice, comes out with 'The hills are alive with the sound of music.'
Oh God!  I saw it 7 times when I was a kid and I'm *waiting* for a restored
re-release.  The dvd is great but there's nothing like seeing it on the big
screen.

Cabaret - Liza Minelli
Say what you like about Liza, when this movie came out in 1972 it was one of
the most incredible movie musicals I'd ever seen and she was bursting at the
seams with charm, energy and talent.  She threw everything she had into the
role of Sally Bowles and she was brilliant.  Her rendition of the title song
at the end of the film followed by the reflections of the audience with the
swastikas scattered on uniforms throughout the crowd is both show-stopping
and chilling.

Laura Nyro - Christmas in My Soul
To me this is the pinnacle of Laura's output.  I know many disagree but this
song takes me to places and moves me in too many ways to count.  Some of
it's dated, sure, but the sentiments she expressed are still relevant today.
Soul stirring as only Laura can do it.

This Street That Man This Life - Cowboy Junkies
One of the most chilling and heart-breaking songs I've ever heard.  Lyrics
like 'that man wears his skin/like a dancer's wears a veil/that man stalks
his victims/like a cancer stalks a cell/that man's soul has left him/his
hearts as deadly as a rusty nail/that man wears his skin/like a veil'
re-enforce my belief that Michael Timmons is a lyricist on a par that
approaches Joni & Bob.  And then there's Margo.  The voice that interprets
his melancholy words with exquisite perfection.

Hour of Gold - Emmylou Harris
Emmylou is a great songwriter.  Just listen to 'Red Dirt Girl' if you don't
believe me and this song in particular:  'But the world will be my
witness/when they excavate my heart/and find the image of your
face/imprinted there like some Shroud of Turin/that neither time nor tundra
could erase.'  The breaking of her voice breaks my heart with words like
that.  She amazes me time and again.

Linda Ronstadt - Prisoner in Disguise
Great J D Souther song sung as only Linda can.  I think Linda has one of the
great voices of our time.  With the right song, she is unbeatable.

Patsy Cline - Sweet Dreams
Speaking of great voices, this was one of the all-time greats.  She may have
been classified as a country singer but Patsy stands up there with any of
the great singers in pop music.  This was recorded in the last sessions she
did before that damn plane crash took her away from us.  She was in top form
and this is one of the all time great heartbreakers.

Dusty Springfield - The Walls Are Much Too Thin
Started with 'The Look of Love' and changed my mind.  I love this song.
Dusty was one of a kind.  To me she defines the term 'Blue-Eyed Soul.'  This
song about a girl who hears talk about the boy she loves through the thin
walls of her apartment building is sung with such soul and heartbreak, it
just gets to me.  I didn't really listen to Dusty until a couple of years
ago when I picked up the cd of 'Dusty in Memphis' and became completely
smitten with her.  Can't get enough of her now.  Another one of the greats.

Dionne Warwick - Are You There With Another Girl
Dionne had a unique, sophisticated sound and style that was none-the-less
soulful.  This song is supposed to be about a girl suspecting that her
boyfriend is cheating on her but it is so campy that is just plain fun to
sing along to.  I love it.  Dionne was one of the first artists I started
collecting when I was a teenager and I still love her early stuff.

Judy Garland - Over the Rainbow
No matter how many times I see 'The Wizard of Oz' or hear that rendition of
'Rainbow' I am still enchanted by it everytime.  One of the few moments in
those MGM musicals that Judy made in the 30s when she wasn't belting a song
out in that show-stopping voice.  She becomes the simple Kansas farm girl
pouring her heart out to her dog and the sunbeams bursting through the gray
clouds.  Quiet, gentle, longing and heartfelt with a voice that was smoother
and softer than velvet.  Sigh.

Ok, that's enough for now.  As usual, I've written way too much.  Pardon my
self-indulgence.

Mark E in Seattle