Just got back from the Stormy Weather benefit. Met up with some of the gang
for dinner and then we headed over to Wiltern.  This time around Henley
decided to have a long private VIP dinner inside the theater before the show
which lasted almost two hours past the start time of 8:00 p.m.  People were
massing at the few doors and the heat and lack of air was enough to make you
pass out.  Rick, Brad and I finally made our way outside for air as an
increasingly fed up crowd were starting to yell "let us in, let us in!"
Geez.  Not good.

Finally we were let in.  This time around the women mostly performed
contemporary songs with just a few old standards here and there.  My set
list is incomplete.  The performers were Michelle Branch, Susan Tedeschi
(awesome and one of her songs was Joni's "River"), Deborah Fox, Paula Cole
("So Ordinary" and Tom Waits "The House Where Nobody Lives"),  Norah Jones
(wonderful), Trisha Yearwood  (one of the best last time and this - "St.
Cloud, Minnesota" and "The Man That Got Away"), Sheryl Crow ("Run Baby Run"
and "Goodbye"), Reba McIntyre ("I Got Lost in His Arms"), Stevie Nicks
(OMG - "Landslide" - the BEST of the night and "Sunday Kind of Love") and
for the finale JONI doing "Woodstock", "What's A Sweetheart Like You Doing
in a Dump Like This?" (not kidding - is this a Waits or Newman song?? and
then a big surprise "Chinese Cafe".  She looked stunning in a long gun metal
grey with dark fuschia trim crinkle-pleated Miyake kimono-style gown (for
those who enjoy the fashion report ;-)  Henley did refer to her "takes" on
the music biz as he introduced her.

As in '98 they had the "El Nino Orchestra" back and it was filled with many
of Joni's best boys - including Peter Erskine on drums, Bob Sheppard,
incredibly channeling Wayne Shorter on sax and flute, Ralph (Joni's
concertmaster on the 2000 BSN tour) on first violin, Vince Mendoza
conducting and Larry Klein musically directing.

We didn't see any "stars" other than a haggard looking Nick Nolte getting
into his car after the show ;-)  All the big shots were there, though,
somewhere at their VIP tables ;-)  Phyliss and Bob were going to the VIP
reception after the show, so hopefully she can fill us in on more manana.
She was going to try to sneak the rest of us in but we had heat prostration
at that point LOL.

Henley made some remark about being back in two years - hope next time he
starts his private gala at 3 in the afternoon, though!

Kakki