I have not ever been remotely interested in Bob Dylan. I can't name a single song he
wrote. He just strikes me as someone I won't relate to, lyrically or musically, not
that I don't respect his musical contribution to the world, which I hear has been
quite significant.

When I saw Joni perform in 1998, when she toured with Dylan, I was surrounded by
hundreds of old Dylan boys. Only a handful of people were there to see Joni,
unfortunately, and she got a very unflattering reception. People were talking through
her set and walking around. I was very pissed off. So was Joni. Half way through the
set she crossed her arms and went to the back of the stage to pout in the shadows
while the band played. She looked most unimpressed.

When Dylan came on the reception was totally different. People were fixated and
cheering loudly. I felt I had got my $60 worth and left before he finished his first
song, making sure the Dylan fans beside me who had gabbed all through Joni's set were
appropriately inconvenienced by my departure: "excuse me, coming through, pardon me,
excuse me, was that your toe? oh well."

-Andrew in Ottawa