Colin, how do you know that only some Moslems feel they're at war with the West? I can't give a percentage, but from talking to people in Arab countries, I know that a substantial proportion (I would say most) feel that a state of war exists between Islam and the West, and they welcome it. They don't necessarily hate Westerners, but they feel we're corrupt and misguided, that Islam must prevail, is the world's only hope, its time is now etc.

I agree that the Arab world has legitimate reason to resent the West, and increasingly the West has legitimate reason to resent the Arab world, although perhaps in less compelling ways.

I don't agree that populations are responsible for their own fate - that all people have to do is refuse to be treated badly. The population is not an autonomous mass. One individual or group might stand up and try to fight back, but for the majority to do that at the same time requires organization, and that's lethal in Iraq, or any of the other Arab countries, where the secret police are everywhere watching and listening for the tiniest sign of dissent. Please believe this, Colin, there is NO freedom in countries like Iraq, not for anyone, not even for Saddam's friends (especially not for them, in fact).

As an individual, you can't stop this war. Similarly, one Iraqi (or group of Iraqis) can't stop what's happening there.

Sarah

colin wrote:

 It is very sad that a few people can always rule a whole country with
 terror. People allow this to happen, If people REFUSED to be treated
 this way, they wouldn't be. Common sense tells us that if the
 population stood to be counted, and took their power back, much
 trouble would be ended.
 Unfortunately, the majority of people won;'t do this thus they give
 their power away.
 So the populations of such countries are responsible for their fate.