Lucy, I think the difference is that cottage pie can be made with beef or anything, but shepherd's pie should be made with lamb or mutton. But I always called it shepherd's pie even though I was making it with Linda MacCartney's soya mince. Can't buy that in Canada so I'm pie-less at the moment.

Loved your list of British comfort food! I have to add custard to your apple pie. ;-)

My beloved South Coast of England! I love it when it rains there. But Lucy, I used to think it got cold there too, until I came here and experienced minus 30. But it does get very damp and drizzly. When I lived there, I woke up once during the night because my pillow was freezing cold, and when I felt it, I realized it was not only cold but actuallly wet, even though my house had no damp in it, at least no more than normal. But I lived just a minute's walk from the sea and in winter we had very wet air -- fresh and glorious. At least winter doesn't last long. Here we have six month winters, then no spring, straight into summer heat. At the beginning of June last year, we had snow on the ground, no flowers, no leaves on the trees. But by the end of June, it was boiling hot and everything was blooming. Then came the dust storms. . .

Sarah

From: "Lucy Hone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Hi all its a horrible horrible day and I still ave this awful cold and it is
sleeting here on the South coast of England... I have to go and walk the dog
(and his friend who is staying...ye gods its mad enough when the kids have
sleepovers...but the dog!!!!!!!) All the talk of Tuna and whether you like
it or not... I do, but in the summer with pasta and huge tomatoes with
balsamic vinegar on them....... has got me thinking about what I would like
to eat today as it is sooooooo f*****g cold......