Interesting bit of social history Mike.  You forgot to mention how
greasy pasties have to be -- by law!  :-)

More food history: My Scottish grandfather always referred to a
sandwich as a "piece".  He'd say (if we were moaning about being
hungry) - make yourself a "piece and jam" or a "piece and cheese".
The reason was that when he was growing up, his family was very poor,
and his mother would make a large amount thick porridge (with oats,
water and salt), then would pour it into a drawer - yes, a drawer -
allowing it to cool and set.  This was the family breakfast for the
next week or so.  Every morning, my grandfather would cut himself "a
piece" i.e. a square of the porridge from the drawer, and would eat
it on the way to school.

Sounds like something from Monty Python, but it's true.  He swore it
was the thing that kept him healthy, and he did live until he was 95,
even though he started smoking at the unbelievable age of 8!

Sarah