>>Kakki, a pasty is a pastry with minced meat and usually potato and other
vegetables in it. And it tends to be a half moon shape and quite large. <<

I once had a girlfriend from Cornwall, home of the famous Cornish pasty, and
she told me that the pasties were shaped a little like small Calzone pizzas
i.e. they came to two little points at the ends. The reason for this is,
according to the ex, that this type of food was typical in those parts,
especially for the tin miners who were once numerous in that area. The miners
had dirty jobs and therefore had dirty hands and so held the pasties with the
tips of their fingers on the tips of the pasties and chewed away at the middle
of the pasty so that the bulk of the pasty stayed away from the dirty fingers
and only the extreme tips were dirtied and therefore almost nothing was thrown
away as dirty.
I'm sure there's a quicker way to say that but whaddafuck... you get the
drift.
mike in bcn
PS the Cornish pasties always had carrots and onions, other vegetables varied
according to the person making them and season, one supposes.