It's pretty hard to take these arguments seriously, as it seems
to be fuzzy logic at best-

Laurent Olszer wrote:

> Regarding the "choice" argument, there are several issues:
> * From a medical standpoint, the fact that some men have to have it done as
> adults
> (my colleague's mate, Colin's and Sarah's friends), and that at this age it is
> very painful
> could well be a justification to having it done as a baby.

Taking this logic a little further, run over babies because they
might in the future get hit by a truck.
Seriously, if this were a statistically significant problem, maybe
you would have a point, but it is not.

> Having seen it done several times, I can tell you babies don't cry for more
> than a few
> minutes and they seem fine 1/2 hour later.

Who knows what they go through in that 1/2 hour.

> * Are circumcised men traumatized?  Can't say whether my craziness comes from
> that.
> I'm afraid not.

First you say you don't know, then decide not...

> * So indeed it is not the kid's choice but the parents' or the doctors', based
> on religious
> or cultural reasons.

Yep yep yep

> (I'm excluding the strictly medical reasons here)
> I had my tonsils removed at age 8, I couldn't make that choice then either.
> So what?

The tonsils are part of the immune system. Since I'm assuming
they were removed for medical reasons, this is completely
irrelevant.

> If jewish fathers decide to do it to their sons, knowing the consequences, do
> you think
> they knowingly want to hurt their kids in any way?

As Colin pointed out, yes, that IS what they are doing (because
it is tradition ie someone in the past told me to)

>From http://www.nocirc.org/symposia/second/moss.html
by Jewish writer Lisa Braver Moss, B.A
Let us return to the concerns mentioned above, starting
with pain. According to Jewish law, it is forbidden to
cause tsa'ar ba'alei chaim, or pain of living things.
Even the necessary causing of pain is considered cruel
in Judaism. Jewish law even prohibits the pairing up
of a small and a large animal for plowing in case the
asymmetry causes the littler one discomfort. Clearly,
concern over the pain of others has strong Judaic roots.

>  So if
> nobody who is
> circumcised is complaining and in fact prefer it, what's the big deal about
> the choice?
> Why not let a custom carry on when nobody is bothered?

Alot of people are bothered by this needless exercise of
domination over helpless male children.
There are a number of organizations that challenge the
popular notion of circumcision. There laregest is called
NOCIRC, and has 110 chapters worldwide.
http://www.nocirc.org/
A few more facts from the web:
Jews have always circumcised as have Moslems,
only in the last sixty years have Americans favored
circumcisions. Most of the World has never circumcised
and does not now.
the procedure, is typically done performed
a few days after birth on 65 percent of American baby
boys--the highest rate in any industrialized country
Circumcision is much less frequent in Latin
America and Europe. It has decline dramatically in New
Zealand and Australia. " Thank God, some of us are
finally beginning to realize its barbaric," says
Marilyn Milos, a registered nurse, who 20 years ago
founded NOCIRC.Milos notes that she began
NOCIRC- which has affiliate chapters in most states and
several countries- after witnessing a circumcision
while training to be a midwife. The mother of
four, whose sons had been circumcised prior to that
incident says, " when you see the baby shrieking and
pushing himself against his restraints, you can't come
away thinking its anything but [genital] mutilation."
http://www.uvm.edu/~gdavis/nocirc/media.htm
(shows a baby with arms and legs strapped to a table
awaiting the procedure)
RR