They cheated! lol.

It occurred to me yesterday, one could create icons for the subsigns with
the displacement/offset included, if MapCSS doesn't support it. That's
exactly what they did. Now we're tallking about 15MB instead of 1.5MB... In
my case it would probably blow up the size to 5MB.

The other change they made, is to do away with the , and ; notation and
have 1 tag per sign/panel

traffic_sign
traffic_sign:2
traffic_sign:3
traffic_sign:4

That's not how the RoadSigns plugin spucks them out and it explains why
there is no Finnish dataset for the RoadSigns plugin. Instead they created
a preset. I guess they added buttons on the toolbar for the ones they use
really often. But that RoadSigns plugin is really handy to add the signs.

Jo