All I'm saying is, what has been proposed is a rather mighty task -
and it's all because of one browser. It works in IE most of the time
at an apparent good speed, just as any other browser. The question I
put forth is, why do such big changes just for IE just for the few
times it does go more slowly? Why not just work on correcting those
few things!

However, that said if people want to do this then why not? After all,
a faster jQuery library can only be a good thing right? Ultimately
this type of optimisation could be the stepping stone for banishing
all speed issues permanently and would help to keep jQuery at the
forefront of javascript libraries.

I ran some more tests with jQuery:
1. To determine if conditionals to detect IE vs non-IE were slow - No
difference in jQuery to the tests in my last post, even when unrelated
code was much longer than the IE section. E.g.
                if (jQuery.support.cssFloat) {
                        $("p").html($("p").html());      // Non - IE
                        $("p").html($("p").html());
                        $("p").html($("p").html());
                        $("p").html($("p").html());
                        $("p").html($("p").html());
                        $("p").html($("p").html());
                        $("p").html($("p").html());
                        $("p").html($("p").html());
                        $("p").html($("p").html());
                } else {
                        $("p").html($("p").html());      // IE
                }
It seems the amount of unrelated script is not a problem for IE.

2. To determine if retrieving information was as slow as setting it.
Yes, IE is 3 times slower in that area as well, with it taking about
15 ms to retrieve the html and firefox only 5 ms. Let's put this into
perspective:
This takes IE about 150 ms and firefox about 50 ms to execute 100
times. At what point do delays become macroscopic. At about 100 ms???

Also, sorry, I realise I talk as though I am a developer, but indeed,
I am not!

Best Regards,
Paul