Klaus,

Thanks for the reply - making the <ul> float as well didn't help.
Using the overflow doesn't seem to have any discernible difference from
without it (when the tabs-nav:after rules are removed).

I think the best way to go will be to remove "display: block" from the
".tabs-nav a" rule and do the sizing of them manually.
--rob

On 7/13/07, Klaus Hartl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Klaus Hartl wrote:

> Rob Desbois wrote:
>> Happy Friday 13th all ;-)
>>
>> Just mocking up a new interface and attempting to use floated <div>s
>> for layout.
>> The right div of two floated next two each other needs to be a tabbed
>> container...but the tabs plugin floats the <li> elements then does a
>> clear:both afterwards which breaks my layout.
>>
>> I have a feeling I'll be playing with it all afternoon to try and
>> change this, but can anyone assist and point me in the right
>> direction? I like the positioning as it is but just need it to not use
>> floats...
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Rob, does it help if you declare float for the ul as well?
>
> .tabs-nav {
>     float: left;
> }

Depending on how the tabs shall look like you could also clear by
declaring overflow for the ul, like:

.tabs-nav {
     overflow: hidden;
}

Works in all modern browsers except for IE 6.

But that breaks the relative positioning, e.g. pushing the active tab on
top of the bottom border (this is why I said it depends on how tabs
shall look like).

Alternatively you may declare a height for the ul and do not clear at
all...

Getting around the float will be hard, although doable (via display:
inline-block, or display: table-cell)

--Klaus

--
Rob Desbois