I too am looking for an accessible solution as I've run into this same
problem using the following:

$(document).ready(function() {
   $('p.firstparagraph').hide()
   $('#hideh1').click(function(){
     $('p.firstparagraph').hide(200);
   });
   $('#showh1').click(function(){
     $('p.firstparagraph').show(200);

p.firstparagraph is showing briefly before the page has completely
loaded then hiding. Using style="display:none" isn't an accessible
solution.

I get this behavior with both IE7 and FF3, haven't tried other
browsers yet.

I've been messing with this for 2 days with no luck. I was under the
impression that $(document).ready(function() is executed before the
page is output, but it isn't working that way.

Any help understanding this is appreciated.

Thanks!

John