Ok I found the culprit. There was a JavaScript for our Google site
search. Commenting it out solves the problem.

It's a Coldfusion page. I'm not sure why this bit of JavaScript, which
is included at the bottom of  the page is causing the problem.

Shouldn't the paragraph hide before the site search JavaScript is
executed?

Thanks for helping!

John