I tried that, but successive appends wind up happening in reverse
order (i.e. ABCDE winds up EDCBA).  Plus, it makes my html tag listing
in firebug look like it has poor structure.  I want to see everything
I add as being children, and not siblings, of the innerHTML that
precedes it.

What I want is to make mouseover honor n instruction to exclude
children of selected elements.

Instead of $("#parent).mouseover(function()

I need.....

$("#parent {and not children of parent}).mouseover(function()

I don't know how to do this, but I think a filter might do it.  Going
to check on filter now.

If anyone knows the syntax, please post in case I can't find it.

Thanks.