Karl, I think I have finally snapped to what you advised.

You said:

You're fighting against two principles: event bubbling and style
cascading. You can limit the event to be triggered only on those top-
level items, but if you're directly applying a style to those top-
level items, the child elements are also going to receive the styles
because of the cascade, unless their styles are explicitly set to
something different.

So, I have to limit trigger to event.target PLUS I need to make sure
that each of my bottom elements do not inherit styles?

Now, I will work on this principle.  I suppose that means that I need
to counter every style attribute I give to the highlight,plus every
style of every parent or ascendant above.