On Jan 22, 4:13 pm, John Arrowwood <jarro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Silly thought:
>
> What if the forums were 'published' to the mailing list, and the mailing
> list were made read-only?  That is, every time a post is published on the
> forum, it is automatically sent to the mailing list.  Then, in the footer of
> the message is a link to reply to the post, which when clicked takes you to
> the forum in such a way that the user can immediately reply to that post.

I hate to point out the obvious, but isn't this is what an RSS feed
accomplishes?...  want an email instead of an RSS reader?

http://www.feedblitz.com/f/f.fbz?RSSHome

Guys, all you need to do is read this post

http://jquery14.com/day-07

Reading that post above, it's dead obvious that the change is made,
it's done... there isn't one ounce of indication in that post
whatsoever that the mailing list even has the slightest of chances of
being the primary source of official jQuery help, and judging by the
huge text banner at the top of this list, won't even be a minor source
of official help.....

Also taking into account that moving to a forum was announced as the
plan at September's jQuery Conference, meaning it was -thought about-
long before that

I personally like the mailing list, and don't enjoy the Zoho forum in
it's current state (forgets login info despite asking to remember and
fixed width is so 2000), ... i've been active here for going on two
years, and it's been a great source of getting help as well as doing
my best to provide help...  but its time to see that the Forum
decision is made.... for better or worse....   I'll still spend some
time and post on both as long as this mailing list has traffic (and
hasn't been over ridden with spam), as it's only one quick bookmark
away.... but we're in the minority, and we had no say.....

I'm not trying to be harsh or rude or anything the like, just trying
to point out the obvious  :-(

No matter where help is to be had... here, the forums, stackoverflow,
the IRC channel, this is still a fantastic library and it makes web
programmer's lives easier day in and day out.....  who cares what is
"official" and what isn't.....  no matter what the solution, there's
no way on God's green earth that it is going to satisfy everyone.....
they've done what is best for them in the the interest of moving
forward, and Google Groups does have it's issues, Zoho was the
solution made.....

/off soapbox

have a good/safe weekend

- Steve