Scott Stirling wrote:

> Awesome that you're writing the book.  Bummer that it won't be out for a
> while.  If you need any reviewers or anything . . . (hint)

Thanks for your support Scott. I appreciate it.

At some point we'll need reviewers. I will put together a review team together
with O'Reilly consisting of both hard core programmers and people who primarily
work with the HTML/graphics in web development projects.

It will take some time before there's enough material to review. At that
time I'll probably ask for candidates on this list.

> What's your feeling on audience anticipation?  How much do you think JSP has
> pervaded the market?  It seems to me to still be an
> early-adopter/forward-looking technology, not anywhere near as hyped and
> main-streamified as things like XML or DHTML.

I believe that JSP, as well as pure servlets, is still in the early-adopter
stage (with servlets being a bit further along than JSP). Most servlet/JSP
based solutions run on intranet or co-located servers today since there's
still pretty hard to find ISPs and hosting companies that support servlets.

The ISP situation is improving fast though and I'm convinced that JSP will
prove to be so popular that it will put even more pressure on ISPs to
support this technology. Add the things in the Servlet 2.2 spec (e.g. the Web
Application concept) that makes it easier to deploy JSP/servlet applications
in an ISP setting, a highly visible Open Source implementation that works
together with Apache and probably other web servers (delivered by the Jakarta
project), and native support for JSP/servlets in pretty much all new versions
of Web Servers and Application Servers, and I'm sure this technology will
move to the next adoption stage within a year and be a target for the media
hype machine (for better or for worse ;-)

>  I'd imagine other JSP books
> will beat O'Reilly to the punch, though they probably won't be the
> "definitive" guide OR's books usually are.

Sure, you'll most likely see JSP books later this year but I doubt that
the early books will cover JSP 1.1 (which adds the tag extension mechanism,
extremely important IMHO) at any length if at all. So I hope you'll have
patience and I'll promise to do my best to write a great book about JSP.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gefion Software         http://www.gefionsoftware.com