Hi all:
I’ve been using TomCat, JSP, JavaBeans to talk to database servers via
JDBC/ODBC and I feel I can do any Web/database related work with the tools I
have, such as generating dynamic Web pages and storing/retrieving data from
different database servers such as Oracle and SQL Server. I didn’t use any
J2EE/EJB.
Because it seems EJB is a hot topic and lots of people are using it, I
studied a little about it. So far, I haven’t found any advantage of using
it. In fact, I feel several disadvantages of using it:

1) You would have to use a heavy weight EJB application server such WebLogic
or WebSphere, which are kind of more difficult to learn and certainly more
expensive to buy than using just a light weight servlet/JSP engine like
TomCat.

2) When you use EJB, you would have to follow the strict rules of
programming, such as defining the interfaces for each EJB. With just using
JavaBean, you don’t have this problem.

3) Each Entity Bean corresponds to a database table. When the database table
is changed, such as adding/renaming/deleting columns, the corresponding EJB
file would also have to be changed. Compared with using just a JavaBean to
do the database work, the changes involved will be minimal - usually, just
changing the SQL statements querying the table.

4) Deploying the EJB is certainly much more complicated than deploying the
JSP/JavaBean files in TomCat. With the former, you have to go through all
the steps creating the .jar, .war, .ear files and define the jndi names
etc., while with the latter all you need to do is just drop the files into
the correct folder.

5) With using the EJB, the .ear file created for one application server
often doesn’t work with another application server (I tried to put the .ear
file which works for one EJB application server onto another application
server and it didn’t work. Other people had similar experiences like mine).
I ended up having to re-create the .ear files for the new application server
which cost me quite a bit of time. However, with using just a servlet
engine, I would think you can just move the source code to the correct
folders if you change the engine and it will work.

6) I heard people say “EJB provides almost transparent scalability”. What
does        “scalability” mean exactly? Does it mean when the number of
users of my application written using only JSP/JavaBean (without EJB)
increases to a certain point, my application will run into the “scalability”
trouble? If so, what kind of trouble is called “scalability” exactly?

7) Another advantage of EJB I heard was “transaction management”. Why do I
need that? I can use JSP/JavaBean to issue all kinds of SQL statements and
commit or rollback any transaction as needed. Why do I need EJB’s
“transaction management”?

8) Another advantage of EJB I heard was “security”. My application currently
uses username and passwords to authenticate users. If the user provide the
correct username and password, then he/she can access the Web page. If not,
then he/she cannot access the Web page. Is this kind of authentication
inferior to the one EJB would provide?

Having said above, my questions are:

Is there anything EJB can do but using just JSP/JavaBean cannot? What are
the advantages of using EJB compared with just using just JSP/JavaBean? Why
are people so enthusiastic about using EJB? So far, I feel I can do anything
without using EJB and I do feel using EJB just complicates the work
unnecessarily. I’m sorry if my questions sound naive because my experience
with using EJB is very limited. Thank you all for your answers to my
questions in advance!

Tom