-----Mensaje original-----
De: A mailing list about Java Server Pages specification and reference
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] nombre de Tom Yang
Enviado el: martes, 25 de febrero de 2003 21:18
Para: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Asunto: Re: Fw: Re: JSP/JavaBean compared with EJB

Hi all:
Thank you all very much for your replies!
I'm currently in the process of deciding "to EJB or not to EJB" for my new
project. My web page uses JSP to generate dynamic web pages and it uses
JavaBean to talk to a backend database server to issue all kinds of SQL
statements such as select/insert/update etc.. I feel this kind of design
(without using any EJB) will serve the purpose. However, the potential users
of the Web page are huge. I'm concerned about the "scalability" problem. My
questions are:
1) Will my web application run into trouble if the number of users increases
to a certain point?

2) Will I not have the same problem if I use EJB instead? If so, I can use a
session bean instead of a JavaBean to issue the same set of SQL statements.
However, I don't see much of a difference between the two approaches. For
example, after I have instantiated a session bean in the JSP web page, I
call methods defined in the remote interface to issuing all kinds of SQL
queries/updates. The methods I call are exactly the same as those defined in
the JavaBean. The only difference is that one is defined in a JavaBean while
the other is defined in a session bean. So if I make this change and I can
say "I am now using EJB", will that solve my problem of "scalability" if I
have any? As I said above, I am very concerned about my web application
running into trouble when the number of users increases to a certain point.
Will the design without using EJB inherently be vulnerable to this trouble?
Will the design using EJB (such as session bean) be immune to this trouble
or at least be easier to deal with this trouble? Could someone please give
some specific scenarios to help me understand the difference between the
two?
3) It is said that "EJB design is N-Tired and N-Tiers allow you to
redistribute load more efficiently". In my case, how do I re-distribute the
load if needed? I can put the database server on a different machine than
the one running the EJB application server to distribute the load, but the
same thing can be done with the JSP/JavaBean (with EJB) design, i.e., I can
put the database server on a different machine than the one running the
servlet engine such as TomCat. I know EJB has lots of advantages. But I may
not need them in this project. The "scalability" problem is really what will
determine whether I should "to EJB or not to EJB". Could someone please give
me some advice? Thanks in advance!

Tom