Hi Christian,

This is a commonly faced problem and I am sure your will find hundreds of
replies in the archives at :

For example, below is one of the recent replies from Rajesh for a similar
discussion :

Hope this helps !
Regards,
Ritesh

Database end
You need to increase the number of allowable
open cursors at the database end. Please lookup
your Oracle documentation to get to the right
point.

Close ResultSets
This happens because you do not close ResultSets.

Rule - close everything
Remember that the rule is to close every resource
you open. If you do not use connection pooling
be sure to close connections.

Story / analogy
We ran into such problems when we did load
testing of an application at 250 simultaneous
users. Oracle does not clean out open anonymous
cursors for half-an-hour after they are opened.

Cheers
Rajesh

Message-----
at rare, random times we get the following error from our oracle 8i server
(8.1.7):
java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded

before anything I must say that we do close all our PreparedStatement, but
not the ResultSet.
AFAIK not closing the ResultSet shouldn't be a problem. We even had some
tests on this issue and they were successfull.
the maximum open cursors in our init.ora is 300 and we are using tomcat
4.1.12