On Fri, Dec 05 2014, ivo welch <ivo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> the most immediate problems for using julia in teaching (instead of R) are
> (a) the lack of local experts and (b) the lack of books.  perl won out
> around here because of two books: Learning Perl and the Perl Cookbook.  I
> can't emphasize enough how much these two books did for perl adoption.  R
> is tolerable only because it has such a terrific and deep support group
> (mailing list) on the internet.

I wanted to switch to Julia (from R) for a teaching course
(computational methods in economics), and decided against it for now,
for the following reasons:

1. plotting is not (yet) comparable,
2. debugging in Julia is currently more difficult than R,
3. the library syntax is a moving target.

Still, given the pace the master branch is moving at, I guess a year
from now Julia will be ready for teaching a course to non-CS students. I
am very much looking forward to this, R has a lot of quirks and traps
that distract students from the course content, Julia has a much more
consistent design.

Best,

Tamas