>From the discussion, it looks like that homepages for programming
languages (and realed projects) serve two purposes:

A. provide resources for the existing users (links to mailing lists,
package directories, documentation, etc)

B. provide information for potential new users (showcasing features of
the language, links to tutorials).

Given that space on the very front page is constrained (in the soft
sense: no one wants pages that go on and on any more), I think that
deciding on a balance between A and B would be a good way to focus the
discussion.

Once we have decided that, we can shamelessly copy good practices.

For example,

1. the R website emphasizes content for existing users (in a non-flashy
way that I am OK with), with very little material for new users,

2. about 1/3 of the middle bar on
https://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell is for new users
(explanations/tutorials/etc), the 1/3 is for existing users (specs,
libraries), and the final 1/3 is for both (forums, wiki, etc),

3. http://new-www.haskell.org/ is mostly caters to potential new users
("see how great this language is"),

4. the content of clojure.org is similarly for potential new users,
while the sidebar has links for existing users.

Best,

Tamas