Maybe I was not clear: having multiple syntaxes per se is not
necessarily bad.

What is somewhat inconvenient is that since there is no good reason for
having multiple syntaxes, some newcomers to the language will be
confused, and will ask about this from time to time. Eg this is how this
thread got started; this is not the first one and of course not the
last. And of course then existing users will join in, and reason for =,
in, both, or a third syntax.

This is one of those tricky situations where it is hard to argue that
the status quo is significantly inferior to other options, but since
there is not a compelling reason for it either, the issue will be
discussed from time to time. Which is of course OK, but if both = and in
remain then the FAQ and the manual could clarify that neither is
preferred, both are fine, and there is no semantic difference.

Best,

Tamas