I find 'end' to be the best choice of block terminator among the ones I
have seen.

It is very clear and explicit, there is no doubt as to what it means,
unlike '}' which is way too small and ambiguous (does it mean end of block,
or end of dict definition, etc.), and just does not jump out at you the way
it should.

You are also wrong that it takes longer to read, since you read it as a
single unit, you don't parse every single letter, unless you are in the
process of learning to read. And since it is so unambiguous, it is much
faster to read than any alternative I've seen.

As for whitespace-dependent, Python style, block delimiters, I have been
working with those over the last few months, and have learned to abhor
them. They are very brittle, outdent something by accident and the code
breaks, perhaps completely invisibly. If you share code with someone that
uses 2-space indentations (as I have), fixing that is a big headache. Last,
but not least, it completely lacks the tidy symmetry and definitiveness of
begin-end blocks, the code seems to slide across the page and then just
trail off like a bad idea abandoned in mid-thought.

I love 'end', please keep it :)