DNF <oyv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is very clear and explicit, there is no doubt as to what it means,
> unlike '}' which is way too small and ambiguous (does it mean end of
> block, or end of dict definition, etc.), and just does not jump out at
> you the way it should.

  'end' is extremely verbose, just like 'function', 'global', 'local' etc.

  You are also wrong about the curly brace's ambiguity. If you find it
  ambiguous, that is because you live in a world overflown with
  syntax. You don't need end of blocks or dict definitions to be
  different things. You only really need an end of /expression/. And
  BTW, I have a hard time figuring out why 'end' wouldn't be ambiguous
  while '}' would be, especially since 'end' ends so many different
  things in Julia.

  Finally you are also mistaken about the size (yes, size matters). The
  curly brace isn't too small. It's too big. It's too noisy. See this
  little nasty peak in the middle, on the right? It's aggressive, it's
  impolite, it hurts my eyes.

  No, really, the only 'end' that makes sense, should be soft, discreet,
  gentle, almost invisible, in perfect harmony with the
  Universe. There's only one candidate. It's... the right parenthesis
  ')'.

--
ELS'16, May 9-10, Krakow, Poland: http://www.european-lisp-symposium.org

Lisp, Jazz, Aïkido: http://www.didierverna.info