i am having the exact same problem with some esri generated shapefiles from one of my sources.

eric

On Apr 3, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Larry Becker wrote:

I've found a shapefile that has what JTS thinks is a topology error of "overlapping shells". In ESRI ArcMap it displays correctly as a shell polygon with a hole, but in JUMP, it displays as overlapping polygons. It fails the QA "Basic Topology" test. I have verified that the "hole" polygon is not CCW (counter clockwise) and this is being interpreted as a shell by the org.geotools.PolygonHandler.

It looks like another case where ESRI isn't following their own specifications. Any suggestions? I don't like to "fix" customer's data when it works fine in their ESRI system.

I'm considering modifying the PolygonHandler code to test all of the polygons in a multipolygon shape to determine if they are completely inside, and then reversing the point order to force CCW. This might make shapefiles read slightly slower.

regards,

Larry Becker

--
just about anything Open Source.