Ugh.

Larry, I think your approach is probably what's necessary.  I would
suggest NOT trying to do a JTS contains() to implement the "wholly
inside" test - it would be very slow (although the new PreparedGeometry
work would make it a lot faster - but it would still be slow).

You might consider just check say 3 points of the ring to see if they
are wholly inside - if so, assume it is a hole.  That should be a lot
faster.

Larry Becker wrote:
> I've found a shapefile that has what JTS thinks is a topology error of
> "overlapping shells".  In ESRI ArcMap it displays correctly as a shell
> polygon with a hole, but in JUMP, it displays as overlapping
> polygons.  It fails the QA "Basic Topology" test.  I have verified
> that the "hole" polygon is not CCW (counter clockwise) and this is
> being interpreted as a shell by the org.geotools.PolygonHandler.
>
> It looks like another case where ESRI isn't following their own
> specifications.  Any suggestions?  I don't like to "fix" customer's
> data when it works fine in their ESRI system.
>
> I'm considering modifying the PolygonHandler code to test all of the
> polygons in a multipolygon shape to determine if they are completely
> inside, and then reversing the point order to force CCW.  This might
> make shapefiles read slightly slower.
>
> regards,
>
> Larry Becker
>
> --