Michaël Michaud wrote:

> ... about the second point, as you know SFS a no one, you may have an
> answer to the following question :
> why polylines may be made of lines sharing their boundaries
> and multipolygons cannot be made of polygons sharing their edges (if
> that's what "shells can touch at any finite number of points" means)

That *is* what I meant by "shells can touch at any finite number of points".

I can't see into the minds of the standards authors, but speaking as a
developer who has implemented the standard, the restriction on how
polygon shells touch makes for nicer topological assumptions, and hence
simpler code.  With this rule you can assume that all edges in polygon
geometries are truly on the topological boundary - i.e that they divide
the polygon interior from the exterior.  Without this assumption, you
have to basically do a "dissolve" to remove "interior" edges before
doing any further processing.

Polylines don't offer quite such a strong topological distinction (they
don't divide the world into interior and exterior), so there aren't any
unpleasant implications to just letting their linework "go anywhere it
wants to".

There are other assumptions which SFS could have made to make processing
simpler - such as enforcing an orientation for polygon rings.  But I
guess they wanted to open the model up as much as reasonable, so as not
to make a whole bunch of geometry invalid.  Although then they could
have allowed "inverted" polygons (self-touching at a point - ArcSDE
style) as well.

Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect
Refractions Research, Inc.