The extension is using a java gps framework which can be found here
http://javagps.sourceforge.net/
and should work as smoothly as in 2004 (at least I hope so) as soon as
the serial input is brought back to life. Though there might  be
problems with changes between jump 1.1.1 & the recent openjump... but
I'll take care of that then.

Thanks so far.. ede