I have been having exactly this same problem with my Galaxy S6 since the
release in December. It is extremely annoying and makes K-9 Mail useless except
as an email archive. Apparently it does not affect all mobile phones but is
particularly pernicious for Samsung Galaxy phones. I have two other friends
whose Galaxy phones experience the same critical deficiency.

Given the importance of email these days, how can any email app allow this
situation to continue for so many months? Why is no one from the development
side replying to this situation? It is clearly not something that the app user
can do anything about.