I'm starting to think it's due to "you get what you pay for."

Yes, I've been happily using K-9 for all these years. Free and with no ads.
That's hard to beat. But when a number of people are complaining about the
same issue (this isn't the only thread about this issue) and the developers
aren't responding, it implies they don't care. I can't keep pulling my
phone from my pocket to do a manual sync to check for new mail. That's what
K-9 used to do. And is supposed to do.

Last night I started exploring mail clients and after trying three, I
settled on AquaMail. Trial version limited to two accounts and unlimited in
the paid (5.00 USD) version. After experimenting for about four hours, I
bought it. No more "syncing disabled" issues.

I'll keep on eye on this thread to see what develops, but I don't have too
much hope.