Yes, I'm running Android v7 and yes, battery optimization is off for K-9.
And as many others have stated (search the web for this issue) turning off
battery optimization doesn't help. So since I have had other email clients
work on this device, but not K-9, I have to say that it -is- a K-9 issue.
Or perhaps, a K-9 issue in conjunction with Android 7. But it is definitely
not entirely the fault of the OS.